Retrograde Eclipse across the SUN, 8:12 AM Pacific at 19 Taurus 25!
See the Astrological Chart below!
May 20 note: This is worth reviewing because June 3 Mercury is again at the TRANSIT of MERCURY degree, 19 Taurus, the third and last time, the day before our Gemini New Moon June 4!
Be there! The entire transit will be visible in the western part of Europe and Africa, as well as in the east of North America, and in South America! Western Africa has the best weather in May. It lasts 7 1/2 hours, crossing retrograde, East to West.
On the average, there are only 13 transits of Mercury each century. The last planetary Solar Eclipse we had was Venus Retrograde in Gemini June 5, 2012. The last Mercury eclipse was Nov 8, 2006 at 16 Scorpio. The May Mercury eclipses are about half as frequent as November transits, but are bigger because Mercury is Aphelion, farthest from the sun. They occur at Mercury’s South Node. The next TRANSIT of Mercury will be Nov 11, 2019. After that, it’s 2032!
Mercury moved into Taurus April 5, 2016, the day Venus, Taurus’s planet, went into Aries. The Moon occulted (eclipsed) Venus, Taurus’s planet, April 6 and the Sun squared Pluto. Mercury went deep into the New Moon April 7 at 18 Aries. Several deep aspects together. Mercury’s entrance into Taurus has some weight.
In Taurus, Mercury the Messenger is sitting with the Buddha, with Mother Earth. He is content in his skin, loves animals and their beautiful fur. Slowing down in Taurus, coming out of Aries, is quite a pace change, at first impatient, but soon adapting to the rest, being able to observe more of the periphery, the framing, perspective, centering, peacefulness. There is absorbing in addition to seeing. It’s a richer experience that way, though it can also make Mercury feel heavy when he is usually a skimmer and a butterfly flit about. Passing information along is more his venue rather than everyday common sense. But once there, he lends considerable intelligence to simple things, speeds up the processes, links and integrates them for further benefit! He’s a natural liaison. Seeing the Taurus values he becomes an appreciative spokesman.
Mars retrograded April 17, is way slow, taking his time going back from 8 Sagittarius to 23 Scorpio. Action takes a decided turn, the point man suddenly changes, possibly no longer interested. A project is left undone or up for serious revision. Or, Mars steeps himself in the depths of his intention to find the purity of his purpose, the internal strength and resources needed to get past a threshold. The teaching schedule and topics are shifted, the destination is uncertain. Philosophies are being challenged. Mars turns Direct, forward, in Scorpio June 29. May 9, the Transit of Mercury, occurs early in the retrograde when Mars is at 5 Sagittarius, pondering the options, confident of the possibilities. At the time of the Transit of Mercury, he is making no aspects to any other planets, so at that time he stands alone, unfettered, free and clear.
Mercury direct in Taurus was first over the Transit point April 19, the day the Sun entered Taurus and 3 days before Earth Day. Taurus is the sign of Earth. Clean up your antennae! Make sure the link to your channel is ready. Write out your thoughts, what you would like to receive, your intentions, what you will do in preparation. If you meditate, seek access to a sacred communion symbol, a centered Peace. Find a still place that will trigger your ability to receive as much as possible. Let go of fears. You will be graced perfectly as you can be. You are perfect just the way you are.
However, if by nature you are an exuberant fiery spirited person, quickly clear your channels, ask for guidance to be given your part. I’m all for jumping up and meeting it halfway, arms open wide, laughing all the way! Whichever you are, if your birthday is May 9, we are especially counting on you!
- Mercury retrogrades April 28 at 23 Taurus, makes the May 9 Transit at 19 Taurus, turns Direct/forward May 22 at 14 Taurus. Mercury is well placed in Taurus for this event. Taurus, an Atlas, is a super stable strong sign. The Sun bathing Mercury is in total Light, being infused with a mega message, requires a sturdy vessel, one that can hold and sustain that Light, keep it safe. Taurus, the sculptor, the ceramic bowl maker, looks for the natural fit. Steady in the Light is a perfect phrase for this event.Jupiter goes Direct, turns forward, just 3 hours before the conjunction of Mercury and Sun! Jupiter is the planet of Sagittarius, the sign opposite Mercury’s maiden sign Gemini. While Mercury is information gathering and communication techniques, Sagittarius gives it meaning, direction and purpose. Sagittarius travels and carries the best with it place to place. It teaches wherever it lands. Considered a friendly optimistic lucky sign of fame and good fortune, we are so blessed to have it’s planet moving forward and carrying the messages of the TRANSIT of MERCURY far and wide in a positive frame of reference! Jupiter in Virgo, Mercury’s other sign, will strive to keep the insights unblemished, pure and accurate, send them out where they will be well tended, spread further.
- June 3 Mercury moves forward across the Transit position the third and last time. If you were tuned in, your chart aligned with the Transit, there has been a lot to think about. Taurus has to do with your Body, our most precious possessions, Earth herself. Perhaps now you have more words to express your comprehension of what happened. Taurus being a fixed sign, an earth anchor, a sign of fertility, will hold these thoughts in safekeeping for a long time to come. They will be cherished, guarded and grown. Save the seeds and keep on sharing.
Mercury and Sun are at Mercury’s South Node (not the Moon’s South Node). It’s sometimes thought that South Nodes are where a bad was in past lives. Mercury in Taurus could have been a selfish thinker, all about possession, a pickpocket. But some also think that what we did, we did so bad, we did it good, and have a super talent to use when now used in a good way. Instead, they could be a grant writer, a museum curator, a clever organic farmer who talks to the plants and animals. So for Mercury, in this case, perhaps the specialty is holding consciousness, the link to, the messages of Sun, Sol, Soul. Because Taurus takes possession, things will be slowed down to a pace people can stand. New ideas will be less frightening, we can get used to them. They will be given with patience and kindness. We will be graced with gentle gifts as we grow, soon ready to handle more. Mercury is keen about estimating current capacity, and makes sweeps of the territory to see what’s changing and what’s up next. Truly a useful talent. The May 9 super infusion, will be a wellspring, giving us a synthesis of valuable inspiration for our world today.
Not only is Mercury at his South Node, but the Mercury eclipse Sun is trine the Moon’s North Node at 19 Virgo. Things from Mercury’s past of many life times will do a rubber band snap into present tense, just like in a time machine, now in the cloak of current times! The organization of life and good business are offered updates that transform us from mundane procedures to extraordinary services and production. Virgo irresistible! Time to let go the old, soup up the new! The Virgo North Node steps up, sees that quality nutrients, regular care are provided, that all is well maintained in top form.
What about that 19 degrees?! 19 Taurus, the degree of the Eclipse, is opposite 19 Scorpio. In old Horary astrology, 19 Scorpio was called the ‘dread degree’ of the entire zodiac! Many are born on 19 Scorpio and do fine. Clearly there are not terrible world traumatizing events that day every year. Yet, there are times, and for some people, it indicates severe challenge, possibly life long. One 19 Scorpio Moon woman never knew her mother, was in 13 foster homes and known for her volatile emotions. Events may be defined quite differently. Is it carnage or should we call it regeneration? Shall we hire the wrecking crew for things that completed their usefulness, clear the path for repurposing? Taurus is a sign of fertility and growth, and Scorpio is known for healing and regeneration! Both are known for strength – one for the power of life, the other for the power of rebirth. Taurus says mine; Scorpio says ours. They can strongly clash neither giving an inch, yet often, with help of a third party, make peace and work powerfully together for common cause.
Children born on this day during the Eclipse will have magical Solar linkage called Cazimi. Their birthdays will hold a meaningful part of our lives. In old horary astrology, when Mercury conjuncts the Sun exactly like this, it was considered unfortunate, burned out, combust. But I am with David Coleman‘s camp. For your perspective, he explains it this way:
- Cazimi, [within 0° 17′ of the Sun] then, leads to the most enchanted state wherein the essential meaning of the planet becomes truly inseparable from our spirit. A cazimi Venus, for example, could easily be a nymphomaniac or ‘sex addict’, for example. It could also be a person with near supernatural charm, grace or insight into the world of feelings. Under the sunbeams a planet [8° to 17° of the Sun] is warmed and vitalised and somewhat or completely invisible, meaning it is commanding and infused with our inner light but somehow ‘on the fringes’, lacking in conventional status. It becomes ethereal, alluring, unusual and dreamy. Combust planets [8° of the Sun] are unorthodox and often willfully defy external direction because they are confident in their own inner unique grasp of the planets essential meaning. They are either aloof from or disinterested in the material agenda of the planet concerned but will still display its power radiantly and forcefully but somewhat enigmatically and individually.
- Short answer: when a planet becomes non-visible because of the Sun’s light it becomes less physical and more astral in focus.
Since Cazimi is within all three of these definitions, I say ALL apply! Look at your own chart to see if you are in any of these categories and if you think they apply.
Expect these Cazimi children to have extraordinary things to say, an exceptionally clever mind in some way, some form of remarkable dexterity, an unusual voice, a way of speaking about a special talent that holds our attention even when it’s not our subject! In certain topics they will be intelligent ahead of their age expectancy, and will surpass common thinking.
In this chart of the eclipse, the Moon is in Gemini, one of Mercury’s signs! As you receive info, share it, disseminate, placing it where it can grow well and be shared on and on, putting the full breath of life into it! In astrology parlance, the Moon is Void of Course, making no aspects with other planets while it is still in Gemini. It is mature in its sign, unhindered, undistracted, free to receive, free to channel what it perceives! Perfect.
Two major outer planet aspects are part of the chart, both squares!
- Jupiter is squaring Saturn, exact May 26. Jupiter in Virgo is always sniffing like a skeptic, sorting out what goes where, seeing if it really has use. Many things are interesting, but they have their own time and place along the road of life. Saturn in Sagittarius is not so interested in saving everything, may simply want space, yet sometimes instinctively puts it in the ‘Later’ category until its time has come. Together they may reframe certain information so others can get a glimpse of the potential and get on board with them. Jupiter loosens Saturn’s grip on old opinions with new data offered. Jupiter is hopeful. Saturn is glad for more tools, the Builder at work.
- Saturn is squaring Neptune, exact June 17. Saturn doesn’t know whether to consult the Mystic or throw him out! Neptune has intuited subtle guiding ideas, knows a lot about people that you would never guess. But there are those unpredictable artist or addicted moments as well ~ often ‘addicted’ to loved ones. Sigh. Insisting on expert specific counseling, programs can be costly, but the results may be well worth it. Saturn sometimes needs to learn when demands and stomping its feet will just never work. Some situations are not in our control. Some are broken beyond repair, or simply spent, done, over. Giving up and reasonable surrender are time saving talents. However, the new Light coming through Mercury may offer alternative possibilities. It will be wise to filter and integrate with current options as well. And sometimes when we all, one time or another, hit our personal bottom, we listen better. Humility and surrender are key. The viewpoint is different, and sometimes enlightening, from our knees. Getting to work may be the better choice versus dwelling in past sorrows, imagined tragedies. Onward.
Venus, also in Taurus, one of her own signs, has just sextiled that Neptune both still closely at 11 degrees! She has sweetened Neptune’s appearance and seen the values of his compassionate ways. Being pretty, strong, stubborn, adored and selfish at times, is not enough. It’s more than money or status. The Soul has to be happy. And working forever for things we want, needs restful Neptune breakaways to reassess where we have come to be. Big messages from the Sun God are cool, but they might need a little talking up. Neptune can help Venus shape the words with love, make new insights treasured.
Venus in this sextile with Neptune makes the Grand Earth Trine (blue triangle) a Kite formation, easing some of the stress aspects. Venus trines Jupiter, hallelujah, and Jupiter trines Pluto! That’s a money maker if I ever saw one! The messages of the Transit of Mercury, Eclipse of the Sun, will be blessed and grounded. Messages will come in at high spiritual levels as well as at the earthly how tos! The TRANSIT lasts 7.5 hours! Why not take the day off and truly Be There?!
Though the mythological Mercury is a man, Mercury is considered an asexual neutral planet, servant and messenger of the Gods, as such, simply a logical Vulcan-like channel. It is at times more interested in the function of gathering and transmitting information than the information itself. Each of us will put the spin of our own chart filter on the information we receive, yet try to keep your transmission of what you receive as neutral as possible. Go for the clean abiding principles rather than judgements of it. Since Mercury is of Gemini the Twins, think of it as our masculine Solar twin being seamlessly in Union with our Earthly feminine mind. When we are at one, there are no misunderstandings, no omits. We are complete, the merger Divine.
VISIBILITY! Find out if an astronomy group is setting up near you. Get tickets to the observatory! Find or get your viewing glasses now and put them in a place where you can easily find them! Clean up your old telescope. Check out the viewing times for your area. Find your favorite live stream channel!
The whole transit will be visible from most of Western Europe, S. America and Eastern N. America. Partial visibility everywhere else except Australia and far eastern Asia.
This is a profound exchange of information between us and the Heart of Light! Each person is linked to this chart in their own way, or not at all, though that isn’t likely since the many factors involved are across so many degrees. Each of us has a part in some way. Thank you for you and your part.
2016 TRANSIT OF MERCURY Astrology Chart
Please, always remember these planetary combinations are what’s happening in the world. Check with your astrologer to see how they do, or don’t, activate your personal chart! May it go well with you….